Chapter 6

I've always wanted a room that speaks to me. I am a weirdo, I know! The social introvert artist/loner. Why not personalise a space by giving it character through colour and texture. We are all used to seeing coloured feature walls. What is a feature wall, you ask? It is the one wall in a room with an accenting colour, that draws the eye but not taking away the essence of the room.

We've all had to choose a tile for flooring, kitchen and bathroom, but have you ever thought of using it in your bedroom or lounge as a feature on one side of your walls? I've always been a fan of mosaics. The more intricate the pattern the more interesting it is for me. My new craze at the moment is using tile on my feature walls. Geometric patterns to be exact. Bright and a little crazy with layers of motifs of different shapes, sizes and colours that hints at floral pattern.

I, on the other hand, do not have one feature wall in my bedroom, but two. I've incorporated both colour and texture. And one of them isn't a tiled wall, but an exposed brick wall made from stock brick. My family thought it was odd, but changed their minds once they saw the wall completed. It gave my room character. But not as much character as my 2nd brightly coloured wall, which is more of a play on the eye by making you feel like you're still in the hallway, whereas you're in a different space. Makes me wink at myself every time. Those who've been in my room love the juxtaposition. There is method in madness.

Comments

Popular Posts