Chapter 1

Driving towards the Victoria Wharf from the grey cityscape of Cape Town, my eyes fell on a colourful Ndebele patterned flight of stairs which reminded me of where I was in the world. Captured by the image Camille Walala came to mind. She is a French-born artist and designer who's vibrant brand of colour can be seen plastered on walls and sidewalks of London, New York and Paris. Her work is inspired by the Memphis Movement and the tribal Ndebele prints by mam'Ester Mahlangu, as well as the Optical Art master Vasarely.

She describes herself as a "purveyor of powerfully positive print", which lead her to establish her brand in 2009. Reflecting on her words I noted that she and I are both driven by the same desire to make people smile, which makes her murals even more appealing to me. I aspire to inspire just as she has inspired me to believe in my brand.

You need to change yourself from within for you to see the change in the world. Making one person smile can change the world. Maybe not the whole world but the world you live in.

Comments

Popular Posts